Sunday, April 10, 2016

Celebrating Failure



My biggest failure this semester had been not doing the assignments that require video or audio taping strangers. I have done a couple of them, but have not done three of them. One time was a lack of planning on my part; I did not read the assignment until the last minute. But others I did not do because I do not like to do them. I get very nervous talking to strangers, especially when I am asking to tape them. I am my harshest critic, and often beat myself up after failing. Nonetheless, I know I missed out on an opportunity to grow and get better at a skill I struggle with. ENT3003 has helped to push me out of my comfort zone on many occasions, and has helped me to be willing to take some new risks that I might now have taken at the beginning of the semester. The most successful entrepreneur’s I have met or read about are ones who took a big risk and were willing to fail if necessary.
I am including a picture of my son for this post because he is my inspiration in many ways. At three year old he is speech delayed. Despite the fact he sometimes get frustrated at his lack of ability to communicate, he still tries to learn knew words and improve his pronunciation every day. He also doesn’t let his lack of verbal communication get in the way of achieving his own little goals, like getting us to get him a Popsicle from the fridge or take him to the beach.


4 comments:

  1. Nice work, Zoe. It's okay for everyone to fail, it's part of life. But, it's how we respond to these failures that shape us into the people we are. Great job. Check out my post at http://mudine.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Zoe,

    This was a great post! I can highly relate to this (and I'm pretty sure that a lot of people taking this class this semester can relate as well) as I found myself not doing assignments, especially ones that require audio or visual recordings. But failing is a learning experience and practicing things like this will help us get better and more confident! Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoe,
    I totally understand that you could not do the video/audio assignments. I didn't like doing them as well just because I have so many in person classes and I am so busy. It is SO cute that you included a picture of your son. I definitely see why he is your inspiration! Great job! Here is my blog post if you're interested: http://shannoncea.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Zoe, wow this is a very honest and touching post. I am glad that there are students as your self that show that persistence is all part of the journey. Most of all I really enjoyed reading on your motivation your son. IT is warming to read about a student as your self and the love that mother has to her child that keeps the journey going. I am really honored to read such a touching post. Thank you for sharing this with all of us. If you would like, you can read my blog, maybe we can connect in some levels... Including the fact that I was not able to complete all of audio recordings.
    http://jazzybiz.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete