Sunday, February 21, 2016

Free Money

Hey everyone! I opted to stand outside a Walmart. I figured this would allow me to interact with many different kinds of people from all sorts of backgrounds. I told people I was trying to do a random act of kindness and asked if they would take a dollar from me. I expected 3 out of 5 would take the money. I was right. The extra $2 I gave to a sports team that was raising money. Men took the money, women looked at me like I was crazy. Sorry for the horrible video, my vedographer backed out last minute so I was trying to inconspicuously record people while giving them (or trying to give them) money. This is video of three of my experiences. I didn't get video of the other 2. I expected women to be more open, since I am a women. Instead I had one ignore me completely and one so no thank you and continue talking on her phone. All three guys took the money and thanked me, although I did get interesting looks and am sure I was a story at someone's dinner table.


3 comments:

  1. Zoe,
    Doing it at Walmart is definitely a good location to get a random sample. Although we had different methods of asking people to take the money, we both estimated that we would get 3/5 people. While you did, I only got 2 people to take the money. The tidbit about the women not accepting the money compared to the men was interesting for you as I did not have that problem considering the two people who said yes to me were men. It was quite an experience though!
    You can check out my blog here:
    http://jamesdonigan.blogspot.com/2016/02/free-money.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Zoe. You definitely were a lot more successful than I was. I guess your strategy was way better. I just kind of ran up to people with my phone recording and a dollar outstretched while they were walking around and they didn't like it. I hated that we had to give away $5 anyways. Here's my blog http://joebestblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Zoe,
    Of all the excuses I've watched people give for giving away a dollar, yours might be the best. Just an act of kindness and it seems like more people were willing to help you fulfill it. Lol i do agree that the video was a little hard to follow but I'm sure if people saw you filming blatantly, the would avoid you.

    ReplyDelete