Sunday, February 28, 2016

The Twenty Percent



For this project I spoke to an entrepreneur who creates custom dresses for girls and original keepsakes for weddings, etc. I have long admired her work; her creations are absolutely gorgeous and amazing. Not only that, there is obviously a lot of love and pride put into her work. Here is the answers she gave to the questions asked:
Who are your target customers? Weddings and people with children.
Where do you find your customers? Etsy
What are your customer's demographics? Woman with children and brides to be
What kinds of media do your customers consume? Mobile apps
What are your customers' problems? Receiving items on time. Typically delayed shipping causes a lot of trouble for me with them.
What are your customers currently doing to fix their problems? Learning from experience by ordering earlier.
How big, on a scale of 1-10, is this problem in your customers' lives? 10 for the ones experiencing the delay. Added stress, especially for brides to be.
Do your customers have a budget allocated to fix this problem? They could order rush, but choose to chance it to save money.

As for “potential” customers, I spoke to a bride and two moms. I asked specifically about ordering customized items. Two said they had used Etsy before to order customized items. The third cited the higher cost of many Etsy items as a reason not to use it. Shipping was brought up as an issue by all three, both the cost and time. When asked about media, Apps were in the list, but so were Netflix shows and lots of kid’s cartoons (little wonder with two moms).
I felt like Brooke has an excellent grasp on her customers and their needs. While one potential customer said Etsy items cost too much, that is not a customer Brooke would have ever had anyways. The other two would happily purchase from Brooke for their customized needs. Following Brooke myself, I know she is constantly seeking feedback from her customers and from friends and family to improve what she offers, prices and service.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Zoe, it is great that Brooke is in tuned with her customers and their needs. She appears to be customer oriented person. What is her app called? I have ordered clothing online and have found sizing issues. I think with her custom orders that should not be an issue for her customers.

    Here is a link to my not as impressive post...http://acwilliams83.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-twenty-percent.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoe,
    I really enjoyed reading your post and I thought your choice of entrepreneur was great! Brooke's ideas and business is also very practical and beneficial. You also followed the demographics when picking customers to interview which is good. Here is the link to my Twenty Percent blog post: http://shannoncea.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-twenty-percent.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Zoe,

    Enjoyed your post. I am not a big Etsy user but I have heard their is quite a good amount of cool stuff for sale on there. It's cool that Etsy offers individual businesses like the woman you interviewed another way to make sales. I can see that especially for a wedding dress, most women would potentially want something custom so it is unique to them. Good post!
    Check out mine: http://sawyerlambert.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your post. I think interviewing someone who does their business over Etsy is very interesting because it is a website that thrives off of entrepreneurship. I also think that the business you chose to interview was interesting because it operates in such a niche market, where it is so important to attract the people within that market because they drive the majority of your sales.
    Link to my blog...
    http://entreprenuerintraining.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-twenty-percent.html.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I like how you simply laid out the conversation and demonstrated tactics of a formal interview. I appreciate the way you did the assignment and how it was straight and to the point. It is also good how you seek to address problems and or find questions to surface issues. Best of luck with future work. feel free to check out my blog as well: http://phatblogz.blogspot.com

    Good job,
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zoe, I was not able to complete this assignment so I decided to comment on this post too. You did a great job interviewing an entrepreneur that you admire. I think your interview was short but clear and I like that because it was easy to understand the business.

    ReplyDelete